Collection Manager Steve Rogers
4400 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-4080
412.622.3255 or 3258
Click here for full bio
MS, 1981, Michigan State University, Zoology (specializing in Physiological Zoology, Mammals)
Thesis: The Effect of Cold Exposure on the Sodium and Water Balance of the Porcupine, Erethizon dorsatum.
BS, 1976, Slippery Rock State College
Practiced in the art of taxidermy for 30 years. Certificate from Northwestern School of Taxidermy.
General Research Interests
- History of Scientific Preparation and Taxidermy
- Preparation Techniques of Vertebrates
- Care and preservation of Natural History Collections
- 1986 The museum study skin. Breakthrough, 12:68-69, 71, 73.
- 1988 The effects of chemicals used in specimen preparation on the colors of bird plumage. Paper presented at the 106th Stated Meeting of the American Ornithologist’s Union, 15-18 August 1988, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville. (Daley, K., S. P. Rogers, and D. S. Wood)
- 1989 Effects of initial preparation methods on dermestid cleaning of osteological material. Collection Forum, 5(1): 11-16 (S. L. Williams and S. P. Rogers)
- 1989 Annotated Bibliography on Preparation, Taxidermy and Collection Management of Vertebrates with Emphasis on Birds. Carnegie Museum of Natural History Special Publication 15, 189 pp. (S. P. Rogers, M. A. Schmidt, and T. Gütebier)
- 1989 Bird specimen labels: A visual world survey with analysis of data recorded on them. Poster presented at the 107th Stated Meeting of the American Ornithologist's Union, 7-10 August 1989, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh.
- 1989 Notes from a Workshop on Bird Specimen Preparation. Section of Birds, Carnegie Museum of Natural History, 117 pp. (S. P. Rogers and D. S. Wood, compilers).
- 1990 We need a library…. Taxidermy Today, 12(1): 74 (reprinted in Canadian Taxidermist).
- 1990 Evaluating taxidermy chemicals. Part 1: Their effect on feathers. Taxidermy Today, 12(3): 45-47, 49.
- 1990 Evaluating taxidermy chemicals. Part 2: Their effect on feathers. Taxidermy Today, 12(4): 59-65.
- 1992 A special offer…. (Concerning use by Pennsylvania taxidermists of the taxidermy library of S. P. Rogers). Pennsylvania Taxidermist Association Newsletter.
- 1993 A national library of taxidermy. Outlook (Newsletter of the National Taxidermists Association), Nov-Dec Issue: 22-24.
- 1994 A sense of history. Breakthrough No. 35: 108-109, 111.
- 1996 Bug-out, the new bug proofing compound. Breakthrough No. 43: 63-65.