Collection Manager Robert L. "Bob" Davidson
Click here for full bio
MA, University of Vermont, 1980
BA, University of Vermont, 1970
- Supervision of specimen preparation and selection of specimens to be prepared
- Specimen acquisition (through fieldwork, exchange and donation), and protection and maintenance of collections
- Primarily responsible for Coleoptera.
- Currently, 45% of time is dedicated to activities related to the NSF-funded facility improvement grant for Lepidoptera (DBI-9987522)
- Behavior and zoogeography of Carabidae (Coleoptera) worldwide
- Special interests include the carabid tribe Chlaeniini (=Callistini) worldwide, Nearctic Cychrini, and carabid faunas of the states of Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Virginia
- Revisions of the genus Chlaeniusin, in Middle America, South America and the West Indies
- Catalogues of the Carabidae of Pennsylvania and West Virginia
- Description of a new Megacephala from Mexico
- Fieldwork has been worldwide, but especially in Hispaniola and Ecuador
- 2000–2002 Renovation of the Lepidoptera Collection at Carnegie Museum of Natural History. National Science Foundation, Division of Environmental Biology, Program for Research Collections in Systematics and Ecology. (Award Amount: $378,661; with R. Davidson, J. Rawlins, C. Young.)
- 1998 Pennsylvania Invertebrate Inventory: Barrens Habitat Survey. Year 3. Pennsylvania Wild Resource Conservation Fund, Department of Conservation and Natural Resources, Pennsylvania Game Commission, and Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. Award amount: $12,299; with C. Bier, A. Davis, J. Rawlins, S. Thompson, and C. Young.)
- 1996 Survey of Non-Target Insects in Wetlands Associated with Outbreaks of the Forest Tent Caterpillar. USDA Allegheny National Forest (Award amount: $35,805; with C. Bier, R. Davidson, J. Rawlins, and S. Thompson.)
- 2001 (In Press). Richness and abundance of Carabidae and Staphylinidae (Coleoptera) in northeastern dairy pastures under intensive grazing. Great Lakes Entomologist (with R. A. Byers, G. M. Barker, E. R. Hoebeke and M. A. Sanderson).
- 2001 Chapter 9: Ground-beetles (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in Riparian Habitats of the Catskill Region. Pages 133-138 In: Morton S. Adams, editor. Catskill Ecosystem Health. Catskill Institute for the Environment, Purple Mountain Press, Fleischmanns, New York, 201 pages (with Morton S. Adams and Robert E. Acciavatti).
- 2000. New southerly distribution records for the boreal carrion beetle, Nicrophorus vespilloides (Coleoptera: Silphidae). Entomological News, 111:355-358 (with Foster F. Purrington).
- 1998 (1999). Using carabids to assess impacts of forest management practices. Newsletter of the Michigan Entomological Society, 43:9 (with R. Haack, T. Patrice and R. Acciavatti).
- 1998 The tribe Broscini in Mexico: Rawlinsius papillatus, new genus and new species (Insecta: Coleoptera: Carabidae), with notes on natural history and evolution. Annals of Carnegie Museum, 67:349-378 (with G.E. Ball). Click here to read more about this discovery.
- 1996 Adaptations of insects at high altitudes of Chimborazo, Ecuador. European Journal of Entomology, 93:313-318 (with L. Somme and G. Onore).
- 1995 First Virginia records for ten species of Carabidae (Coleoptera). Banisteria, 5:16-19.
- 1990 Distribution and habitat of Dyschirius campicola Lindroth (Coleoptera: Carabidae) with new state records for Ohio and Illinois, first records east of the Mississippi River. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington, 92(2):205-207 (with H.J. Lee, Jr).
- 1990 Notes on the Morionini of Ecuador. Coleopterists Bulletin, 44(2):216 (with G. Onore).
- 1988 New state records for Agonum (Europhilus) galvestonicum (Casey) (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in Ohio, Missouri and Tennessee. Coleopterists Bulletin, 42(3):231.
- 1988 Note on the habitat of Pterostichus (Pseudomaseus) tenuis (Casey) (Coleoptera: Carabidae) with six new state records. Proceedings of the Entomological Society of Washington, 90(2):260-261.
- 1987 Harpalus rubripes Duftschmid, a European ground beetle new to North America (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Coleopterists Bulletin, 41(1):56 (with R.T. Bell).
- 1981 Note on the distribution and habitat of Bembidion (Pseudoperyphus) rufotinctum Chaudoir (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Virginia. Coleopterists Bulletin, 35(1):127-128.
- 1980 Rediscovery of Asaphidion flavipes Linnaeus (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in Long Island, New York. Coleopterists Bulletin, 34(3):280 (with M.K. Langworthy).
- 1979 Harpalus (Ophonus) puncticeps Stephens (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in New Jersey and Vermont, U. S. A. Cordulia 5(3):64 (with J. J. Steffens).
- 1978 Two additional New York records for Bembidion obtusum Serville (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Cordulia 4(1):10 (with M. K. Langworthy).
- 1978 Bembidion rolandi Fall (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in Vermont, with a note on its habitat and behavior. Cordulia, 4(3):93-94.
- 1977 Note on the distribution and habitat of Platynus opaculus LeConte (Coleoptera: Carabidae) in Vermont. Cordulia 3(4):157-158.
- 1975 Harpalus (Ophonus) puncticeps Stephens (Coleoptera, Carabidae) in New York and Vermont. Coleopterists Bulletin 29(4):256.