||1907 American Association of Museums Meeting Identifications
1907 AAM Social Events
On the night before the convention, June 3, 1907 at 7:30 p.m., a council meeting and dinner was held at the Hotel Schenley to approve the convention’s program. Those in attendance were Hermon C. Bumpus, E. S. Morse, W J McGee, W. P. Wilson,
F. A. Lucas, J.E. Talmage, and W. J. Holland.
The conference opened on June 4, with roll call and various committee presentations. Afterward, lunch was served at the restaurant of the Carnegie Institute at which time “handsome” black and gold badges were presented to the delegates. Participants were then permitted to stroll through the art galleries, museum, and library until the beginning of the afternoon session. Between the afternoon and evening sessions “automobile” rides through the parks, boulevards, and residential areas of the city were offered to the visitors.
After the first paper session on the second day, June 5, AAM members were photographed in front of the Diplodocus dinosaur. They then boarded street cars, which took them to the East Liberty Station where they departed on a train to Ross Station to visit “The Meadows”, the country home of Robert C. Hall in Aspinwall. Mrs. Hall gave a luncheon for the museum directors’ wives while Mr. Hall provided dinner for over 300 men. The dinner of barbecued ox was to be held outside under the trees on his estate but due to light rain everyone ate inside where they were able to view his extraordinary Indian basket collection. The delegates toured the Hall Museum of Anthropology, viewing for the first time Hall’s Indian collection, arranged by Curator C. P. Wilcomb. Mr. Hall received many fine compliments pertaining to his private collection.
One interesting aspect of our study of the Pittsburgh AAM Meeting was the information we obtained about the Hall Museum of Anthropology in Aspinwall, a suburb of Pittsburgh. The existence of the Hall Museum was unknown to the Section of Anthropology until we saw it mentioned in the Proceedings. Subsequently, in the Annual Report of the Director of Carnegie Museum for 1901 (page 22) we discovered that Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Hall had loaned “…their large and beautiful collection of Indian blankets and basketry.” Apparently, the loaned collection had been returned to Mr. Hall before the 1907 AAM Meeting. Further study of the Hall Museum of Anthropology will be undertaken.
Historic photo of the Oakland section of Pittsburgh in which Carnegie Institute is located
After the visit to the Hall Museum, the delegates had planned to visit one of three sites; the glass factories at Creighton Station, the Allegheny Observatory at Riverview Park, or the Homestead steel works, in the evening. However, according to the newspapers, all plans had to be cancelled so that the members could attend the evening paper presentations by W. P. Wilson, D. I. Griffin, and A. B. Gallup.
On the final day of the conference, June 6, all the delegates enjoyed lunch at the Schenley Park Golf Club and then engaged in one last visit to the Carnegie Institute and Library. It was mentioned that many of the delegates were to remain in Pittsburgh for a few days following the conference to visit the extensive industrial plants of the city.
Information derived from the Proceedings of the American Association of Museums, Records of the Meeting held at the Museum of the Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, June 4-6, 1907 and newspaper articles from June 2-6, 1907.