Media Photo Site
Electronic Image Policy
Reproduction of works in Carnegie Museum of Natural History’s media photo room is permitted for accredited media outlets in association with news and media pieces about Carnegie Museum of Natural History, its collection, exhibitions, research, and staff. Images found in the media photo room are not intended for use in textbooks, programs, or other materials unrelated to the museum and its work; please contact to Interim Director of Marketing Leigh Kish at 412.622.3361 or KishL@carnegiemnh.org, as additional agreements apply.
Please read this policy and click the link at the bottom of the page to register for access to the Media Photo Site.
All requests for permission to reproduce electronic images available from the Media Site for purposes other than media use will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Applicants must submit their requests to Interim Director of Marketing Leigh Kish at 412.622.3361 or KishL@carnegiemnh.org.
- Permission to reproduce is conditional on the
unequivocal acceptance of the following regulations. Any breach of these terms
will result in the revocation of permission to reproduce. Payment of
appropriate compensation or damages to the museum by the applicant may be
- Reproduction permission for media purposes covers only the specific use detailed by the Senior Marketing and Communications Manager. Additional use of any kind is not covered by the original permission to reproduce.
- The museum assumes no responsibility for claims against the applicant or the museum by third parties. The applicant agrees to indemnify the museum against any and all such claims and costs, including copyright infringement claims arising out of the applicant’s reproduction of the work(s) in question.
- The museum makes no warranties and assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any claims, royalties, or fees demanded by an artist, his agent, estate, or by any other party in connection with the reproduction of artworks in the museum’s collections. The applicant agrees to indemnify the museum against any and all such claims, demands, and/or actions, including the costs thereof, arising as a result of the applicant’s reproduction of the museum’s artworks.
- Reproduction of images in the museum’s collections that are not obtained directly from the museum is strictly prohibited.
- The museum does not supply images to companies or individuals operating a photograph rental and/or sales service. Any commercial use of the Museum’s images is strictly prohibited.
- The following copyright information must appear in immediate proximity to the reproduction, or in an acknowledgements section of the publication: artist, title, credit line, copyright holder (if different than museum credit line), photo credit. Any changes to or fraudulent representation of the copyright information specified by the museum is strictly prohibited.
- Reproductions of details of artworks must contain the word "detail" in the caption.
- The paint area of a composition, or the area within the outline of a sculpture, may not be masked out, superimposed with type matter, or in any way altered or defaced. Reproductions that bleed are therefore only permitted in the case of "details."
- Applicants are required to delete all electronic images from their files upon completion of the publication.
- The museum may require the applicant’s compliance with any additional regulations that individuals/institutions loaning images to the Museum as part of temporary exhibitions may specify.
- All requests for permission to reproduce electronic images available from the Media Site for purposes other than media use will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
Click here to gain access to Carnegie Museum of Natural History’s media photo room.
By submitting this information, you indicate that you agree to the Electronic Image Policy and you acknowledge that you will be given access, via email, to the media photo site after your credentials have been verified. This may take up to 72 hours.