Come party at the museum! Birthdays are back at Carnegie Museum of Natural History, and are available in two exciting themes! For the young paleontologist in your life, we offer the "Party like a Paleontologist" package, or for those with a fancy flare, the "Egyptian Royalty" party is sure to please. Birthday parties are designed for children ages 4–12 and must be booked at least four weeks in advance.
Pick a theme!
Party Like a Paleontologist
If you love everything about dinosaurs, then this is the party for you!
Party guests play exciting dinosaur-themed games such as “Dino Stomp” and also learn how to wrap a T. rex claw fossil to take home, just like the experts do. Of course, no dinosaur party at the museum is complete without a trip to see Dinosaurs in their Time!
Egyptian Royalty Party
For those who enjoy the finer things in life, the Egyptian Royalty Party is a party fit for a pharaoh!
Party guests enjoy Egyptian-themed activities such as learning how to make an Egyptian cartouche— a special way to write a name in hieroglyphics— and also bead jewelry that can be taken home! Of course, no Egyptian party at the museum is complete without a trip to see the Walton Hall of Ancient Egypt.
What’s included in a basic party
- 1-hour use of a private party space in a museum classroom. You may enter up to 15 minutes before a party and have up to 15 minutes after the party to clear out your belongings.
- An energetic and friendly Museum Educator who provides 30 minutes of themed games and hands-on activities for your guests, as well as staying on hand in the party room to assist you and your party guests with your needs.
- All birthday decorations, candles, cups, plates, napkins, cutlery, music, drinks (punch and water), and chips and pretzels.
- Small birthday party favors for the children attending the party.
- A small gift from the museum to the birthday child.
- Same-day admission to the Museums of Art and Natural History for all of your party guests.
Parties are for any combination of children and adults up to 25 guests; additional guests can be added for $10/person, up to a total of 35 people.
Basic Parties are $375 non-member / $350 members
- Meet-and-greet with Rexie the Tyrannosaurus rex Costume Character! Rexie visits your party, and your Museum Educator will take a group photo of the party children, as well as send each child home with a printed photo sticker to commemorate the day! Cost: Basic party fee + $100
- Animal Encounter in Earth Theater! Museum staff provide a special 30-minute animal encounter presentation with some of the museum’s animals! Cost: Basic party fee + $100
Party Times Offered
Saturday or Sunday, year-round at 11a.m., 1 p.m., and 3 p.m. (except major holidays); call 412.622.3288 to see if your choice of date and time is available.
Party time can be extended by purchasing the next party time slot, but no additional programming is provided.
Please book at least 4 weeks in advance; catering orders can be placed no later than 2 weeks from the party.
Cake and ice cream. Catering options are available for cake and/or pizza for an additional fee, detailed below. At least three birthday adults to attend for a party of up to 25 people.
Please don't bring
- Anything that needs to be taped onto a surface
Birthday Catering Options
Cake: $40 per cake—9” wide x 3” high, and serves 20
Choice of chocolate or vanilla batter
Dinosaur graphic and text “Happy Birthday”
(Cake is not gluten-free)
Pizza: $16 per pizza + $5 one-time delivery fee—14” pizza, cut into 8 slices
Choice of cheese or pepperoni pizza
All food orders must be placed 2 weeks prior to event.
Sample Party Schedule
(based upon a 1 p.m. party schedule)
||Earliest time Party Parents/Guardians and Birthday Child will be permitted into the party room
||Guests arrive to party
||Activities and games in party room with Museum Educator
||Party room handed over to party parents/hosts (Time for eating cake and snacks, singing, opening presents, etc.)
||Party in room is over, children are given small party favors, guests are led by Educator to exhibition area
||Party parents/guardians must remove all belongings from party room; no storage in room is available. Museum Educator can provide a rolling cart for you to take belongings out to your car.