Powdermill Nature Reserve
Carnegie Museum of Natural History Pennsylvania Unconventional Natural Gas Wells Geodatabase
2013-Q3 (Released October 15, 2013)
- Records queried through September 30, 2013; downloaded from PA DEP October 7, 2013.
- No updates.
2013-Q2 (Released August 30, 2013)
- Records queried through June 30, 2013; downloaded from PA DEP August 26, 2013.
- No updates.
2013-Q1 (Released June 30, 2013)
- Records queried through March 31, 2013; downloaded from PA DEP May 15, 2013.
- The Unconventional Wells Summary data compilation method changed significantly, allowing for faster processing. The order of fields changed, some field names were changed, new fields were added, while others were eliminated (see Unconventional Wells Summary Fields table). Below are the important changes. Not all are listed.
- WELL_STATUS – Definition changed to conform to the PA DEP definition. See Data Dictionary section of metadata document. The well status is also included from the Spud, PUC, Waste, and Production reports.
- PERMIT_WELL_TYPE and SPUD_ WELL_TYPE – Fields added to indicate PA DEP well type classification.
- PUC_PLUGGED_DATE – This field was added to show when wells were plugged.
- VIOL_DATE_FIRST and _LAST – Violations dates were added.
- PUC_ANALYSIS – This field was eliminated and the analysis is no longer completed.
- PUC_FORMATION_NAME – this field was eliminated because the PA DEP no longer includes the field in the PUC report data. The PA DEP replaced this field with an additional report called “Oil and Gas Well Formations Report” (OOGM 2013). At this time, there is no plan to include the report or reestablish the field in a later release. If the data is desired, it is recommended to download that report, and use an attribute join to add the field.
- All GAS_QUANTITY and GAS_DAYS fields – These fields were moved into a new table that summarizes natural gas production. It is designed to be easily joined to the Unconventional Wells Summary table.
- All tables are now available as Comma Separated Value (CSV) format instead of Microsoft Excel. This allows for more versatility and compatibility with other database software. CSV is a compatible format with Microsoft Excel.
- A quarterly release schedule was established. This also resulted in a redesigned versioning structure. See Update and Version Information of the metadata.
- The recommended data citation has changed.
2012.12 (Released February 8, 2012)
- Records queried through December 31, 2012; downloaded from PA DEP January 25, 2013 (All Sources).
- The 2012 annual and second period for unconventional wells Production and Waste reports are not included as these are not released until mid-February. The next version will contain these records.
- Minor elements of the data structure were updated to help conserve storage space and allow for greater flexibility for users with earlier versions of ArcGIS. The changes include fixes that allow the file geodatabase, map document, and layer file to be compatible with ArcGIS 9.3 and above.
- The known issue regarding the truncation of text values for the INSPECTION_COMMENT field of the Compliance Report was resolved.
2012.06 (Released September 28, 2012)
- Records queried through June 30, 2012; downloaded from PA DEP August 16, 2012 (Permits, SPUD, Compliance, and PUC) and September 5, 2012 (Production and Waste).
- The geodatabase changed its name from “Carnegie Geodatabase of Pennsylvania Marcellus Shale Natural Gas Wells” to “Carnegie Museum of Natural History Pennsylvania Unconventional Natural Gas Wells Geodatabase”.
- Fields updated: SITE_NAME changed to FARM_NAME; Any field designated with “MS” was changed to “UNC” to reflect the geodatabase name change; LOCATION_YN changed name to ERROR_LOCATION; All GAS_PROD fields changed to GAS_QUANT;
- Fields removed: ERROR_FLAG, ERROR_NOTE
- New fields added: ERROR_PERMIT, ERROR_SPUD, ERROR_MS_STATUS, and ERROR_COUNT. The field additions listed correct for any overlapping errors. For example, if a well has a permit or a spud error and is also inconsistently identified as an Unconventional well, each error will be reflected in the new fields. This eliminates weighting the errors and will show each error independently. The error count field can now be used to see which wells have more than one discrepancy. The definitions of errors and discrepancies were expanded and described more clearly as well.
- Metadata was updated to reflect the changes from above.
2012.04 (Released May 14, 2012)
- Records queried through April 30, 2012; downloaded from PA DEP May 14, 2012.
- Initial public release
2011.12 (no formal release)
- Records queried through December 31, 2011; downloaded from PA DEP on April 16, 2012.
- Added Waste Reports, Compliance Reports, and PUC Act 13 SPUD Report.
2011.10 (no formal release)
- Records queried through October 31, 2011; downloaded from PA DEP Fall of 2011.
- This dataset only includes Permit, SPUD, and Production records and used slightly different techniques in compiling the records due to a different data delivery system by the PA DEP. In January of 2012, the PA DEP released a new data query and download tool.